If you are a peasant like me living outside of the US but you still want to listen to Pandora Radio, which is only available in the center of world (USA), then what can you do?
There is a very simple solution now. Opera offers free VPN, built directly in the browser. You can choose between German, Canadian or American VPNs. Currently this feature is only available in the development version of Opera. So here are the steps:
- install Opera (development version)
- install Flash player for Opera (Pandora is a Flash-based website)
- visit pandora.com just to see that you are kicked out
- enable VPN: with Alt+P you can access the Settings, go to Privacy & security, then enable VPN
- Open an arbitrary site. On the left side of the URL bar you’ll see that VPN is activated. Click on it and select United States.
- Visit pandora.com again. Strangely, you are let in this time…
I tried Spotify today for the very first time. Not bad :) “Spotify is a commercial music streaming service… Music can be browsed or searched by artist, album, genre, playlist, or record label. Paid “Premium” subscriptions remove advertisements and allow users to download music to listen to offline.” (source)
Visit https://www.spotify.com, register for free, then install the Linux client. It works well. So far I’ve used Pandora.com, but Pandora is not available in my country, thus I need to use a US proxy if I want to listen to it. Spotify, on the contrary, is available at us, so there is no need to do such tricks. And it’s free.
(Thanks to gegerigo for showing me Spotify on his machine.)
You want to listen to Pandora Radio outside of the USA.
There is a Firefox add-on that uses a US proxy for Pandora. The proxy is only used with Pandora, Hulu, and Netflix.