I found an excellent game in the Humble Store a few days ago called Frozen Synapse. This game was released in 2011 but I never heard of it before.
“Frozen Synapse is a turn-based tactics video game developed by independent game developer Mode 7 Games, in which players plan their moves at their leisure and turns are resolved simultaneously. Players attempt to win by giving orders to a small squad of armed combatants, most commonly with the goal of eliminating all enemy units.” (via wikipedia)
Here is the trailer:
The design of the game is very similar to the games of Introversion Software (Uplink, Darwinia, Defcon). I guess the creators of this game are a huge fan of Introversion games :)
In theory it works under Linux too but I couldn’t make it run under my Ubuntu 13.10 yet. I had to try it under Windows.
Are you aware of similar games? If yes, please leave a comment.
The Humble Store is a permanent addition to the Humble site that allows customers to buy great games at great prices 24/7 for PC, Mac, Linux and Android. The list of games is updated daily!
Today I bought for instance Euro Truck Simulator 2 for $6.25. Good bargain :)
The last weekend I was at the RuPy 2013 conference in Budapest, Hungary. It was awesome! I met lots of cool people who share the same interests as me. I had a great time.
During the conference some guys played a game that turned out to be FTL: Faster than Light. I also tried it and it’s really addictive :) It’s multi-platform; it runs flawlessly on my Linux box.
- FTL HQ
- FTL @wikipedia
- buy @Steam
- cheats (I tried one cheat only: disable rebel fleet pursuit. This way you don’t have to run through each galaxy, you have enought time to discover every planet and level up your ship.)
Thanks Füli for showing me how to play this game :)
A free update is on its way! Teaser video here.
Here I collect my favourite soundtracks. The entries come in no particular order. The list is not final, it will be extended over time.
- Mortal Kombat (half of the songs are metal that I don’t like but the other half is techno) [sample: Control]
- Hackers (orgasm for the ears :)) [sample: Cowgirl]
- Tron 2 [full soundtrack]
- Lola rennt (English title: Run Lola Run) [sample: Running One]
- The Matrix
- Quentin Tarantino’s movies (not techno but he has a good taste for choosing songs)
- Requiem for a Dream [theme song]
“Darwinia is a 2005 real-time tactics and real-time strategy video game for several platforms. It is the second game developed by Introversion Software, and its setting is within a computer environment that simulates artificial intelligence.” (from wikipedia)
I bought Darwinia on Steam last Christmas on a sale but I tried it this week. And I’m amazed! It’s one of the best games I’ve ever played with. The graphic and design are similar to the world of Tron, but it’s a real-time strategy. It runs on Linux too, I played it with 1920 x 1080 resolution. And this masterpiece was developed by 4 guys as I read it somewhere…
There is a tutorial system built in, so anybody can learn it :) Some tips though:
- Upgrade something all the time. When you get to the last levels, the only chance to survive if you are powered up. So when you get a notification that an upgrade is done, start another immediately. Some upgrades take a lot of time. By the time you reach Biosphere, your green men should be able to defend themselves, otherwise they will be massacred.
- Learn to use the armor, it will be a huge help and some enemies cannot be killed otherwise. Right clicking on an armor you can select an action: load, unload, stop loading. Put some green men in it (they will be the operators) and right click on a ground point. Here the armor will transform into a turret. Don’t deploy the turret too close to red men because they can overtake the gun and turn it against you! The armor can go over anything: sea, mountain, nothing can stop it :)
- If you take the focus off of a squad (with space), it will defend itself automatically.
- Spiders can be destroyed with grenades or rockets. Rocket is easier to use against spiders so upgrade this skill to increase range.
- There is a level called Escort. It can be done with zero kills :)
- Darwinians (the little green men) can climb up a hill. In water they drown.
- If you finished the game and later you want to play on a custom level, do the following: edit the file
~/.darwinia/full/preferences.txtand modify this line: “
UserProfile = AccessAllAreas“. Now you can play any level.
- Darwinia home page
- Darwinia guides (level, unit, enemy, etc. descriptions)
- Darwinia official forum
- Introversion blog
- Introversion on Subversion and Prison Architect Rezzed Session (meet the developers)