You want to become a Reddit power user.
Install the Reddit Enhancement Suite Firefox add-on. The result will be a Reddit on steroids :)
I always think of the 80s as the best decade of my life. I guess it’s because that’s when I was a child :) Now we can go back in time with reddit’s timeline: http://www.reddit.com/t/1980s/.
When you visit a subreddit on reddit.com, for instance http://www.reddit.com/r/python, at the bottom of the page you will find just a “next” link to the next page. Needless to say, browsing older entries like that is a PITA…
I made a simple script that generates a static HTML page with links to all the older pages:   …
You can find the script
reddit_get_all_pages.py in my Bash-Utils collection, in the
Customize the constant
This script made me figure out that reddit lists only the last 1000 posts! Older posts are hidden. If you have a direct link to them, fine, otherwise they are gone :( So this script will only list 40 pages. This is a limitation of reddit.
You have an unreadable JSON file from which you want to extract some data… How to prettify it, i.e. how to make it human readable?
There are web-based and command-line solutions. As an extra, we show you how to do it in Vim too.
- http://chris.photobooks.com/json/default.htm (it can show you the path of a tag too)
- http://jsonformatter.curiousconcept.com/ (formatter and validator)
curl -s http://www.reddit.com/r/nsfw/.json | python -mjson.tool
sudo apt-get install edit-json; prettify_json myfile.json
This tip is based on this post: Editing json files in vim.
.vimrc file I had to add the following lines:
" pretty-print JSON files autocmd BufRead,BufNewFile *.json set filetype=json " json.vim is here: http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1945 autocmd Syntax json sou ~/.vim/syntax/json.vim " json_reformat is part of yajl: http://lloyd.github.com/yajl/ autocmd FileType json set equalprg=json_reformat
When opening a
.json file, it will be colored using the
json.vim syntax file. Selecting a text and pressing the “
=” button will indent the marked text using
There are several JSON visualizer add-ons for Firefox, e.g. JSONView.
Update (20110915): The project has changed a lot since its first release, thus the original post here got completely outdated. I rewrote this blog entry to reflect the current state of the project.
The goal of this project is twofold. First, download images from a wallpaper site. Second, rotate the downloaded images as wallpapers.
Here is the list of changes that I added to the original version:
- New! XML support is dropped. For setting the images as wallpapers, use the script
- New! Support for 4walled.org is added!
- New! Support for wallbase.cc is added!
- Large images can be resized to fit your screen resolution. By default, the maximum width of images can be 1920 pixels. You can customize it in the config file. It’s recommended, this way the images will occupy much less space on your hard drive.
- You can specify several categories and the downloader will grab images from all these sites. The same is true for rotator: you can specify several categories and it will pick a random image from the whole list. See the config file for more details.
- The project includes an automatic wallpaper changer script called
02_wallpaper_rotator.py. You don’t need any third-party managers anymore.
- You can choose from several categories. You can also specify your favorite category.
- Screen scraping is done with the BeautifulSoup library.
- The most important change is the filtering of images that are unsuitable as wallpapers, i.e. small images, portrait images, and images with strange ratio are removed from the list.
- Support for Flickr images (zioyero’s patch).
- The URLs of the downloaded images are strored in an SQLite database. This way an already fetched image (either good or bad) won’t be downloaded again.
Supported wallpaper sites
First, you might want to customize some settings in the
config.py file. The most important thing is the
PHOTO_DIR directory, i.e. where to store the downloaded images. Create this directory if it doesn’t exist. Then, simply launch the script:
You can also add it to your crontab:
$ crontab -e 10 */2 * * * /absolute_path_to/01_wallpaper_downloader.py
Add the second line to the end of the crontab list. Here the script is called at every two hours (at 0h10, 2h10, etc.).
For setting the images as wallpapers:
That is, just launch it in the background. It uses the same config file as the wallpaper downloader. I put it among my startup applications, thus it starts automatically.
You can download the script from https://github.com/jabbalaci/Wallpaper-Downloader-and-Rotator-for-Gnome.
For posting images, use imgur.com.
Here is a post about Reddit’s (secret) API. In a comment there it is pointed out that you can add “.json” to any reddit address to get the content in JSON format! Example: http://www.reddit.com/r/EarthPorn/.json. This way, screen scraping is not necessary.
Some useful links:
- help on formatting comments
- find subreddits (metareddit, subredditfinder, subreddits)
- new reddits
- reddits with FAQs
- reddpics (browse images of subreddits)
- University of Reddit
What is reddit? (in Hungarian)
I will collect here some links with cool wallpapers:
- wallpaper and wallpapers on wordpress.com
- http://www.geekwallpapers.com/, http://www.sciencewallpaper.com/, http://www.knifewallpapers.com/
- Gnome wallpapers
Cool images on reddit (don’t be afraid of the ‘Porn’ titles, it’s not what it seems to be):
- EarthPorn: Mother Nature in all of her succulent beauty. (great)
- CityPorn: Oh pedobear, it’s not that kind of CP, silly! (great)
- SpacePorn: High Res Images of Space, Stargazer’s Delight (great)
- MachinePorn: Check out the headlights on that porsche. I think my driveshaft just got torqued.
- Human Porn: Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
- AnimalPorn: High quality animal photography will make you shiver and moan (great)
- BotanicalPorn: Feed me Seymour. Feeeed meeeeeee! (nice)
- DestructionPorn: Burn Baby Burn!
- AdPorn: Where’s the beef?
- *Porn: all the previous together